header

header

9.19.2015

Skincare Saturday


I think all of you know that I have struggled over the past few years as my kids have become more independent and are needing me less and less.  I identify myself as a mom and have for the past 16 years. It is the role I was meant to play, it is my dream job, it is my life.  I have embraced this role with everything I have and it makes me cry as I type this because I can see my job position being phased out. 

I will always be a mom, but it won't always consume my life the way it has for the past 16 years.  The kicker is that if I do my job right, I will become obsolete in 18 years. That's just the way it is.  It's what I have worked for and also what I have dreaded. Taking my high school junior to visit colleges this summer has really shined a light on my future.

I love these damn kids so much!
 
Even now, my days stretch out before me as I try to fill the hours between morning bus and afternoon bus.  I wait to be "back on duty".  I have had Hope Studios, The Shop to keep me busy and dabbled in starting my Organizing Business but I have yet to find something to fulfill me the way motherhood has.

I am trying something new to give me the "oomph" I felt so many years ago with Pampered Chef. That job gave me back a little of myself when I was a new mother who had lost her identity under piles of diapers and bottles.  I want to try direct sales again.  I'm good at it, but it has to be something I believe in.  My skincare routine has been something to boost my confidence recently and is easing me into aging gracefully.  I want to see if it can also ease the transition I'm experiencing with my life.  I sat down to write the following essay about it yesterday and I wanted to share with all of you as I announce my business launch:


Why Rodan + Fields...

After I turned 40 (a few years ago!) I began a self-improvement journey.  I embraced everything from clean eating, to exercise, to hair care.  I even whitened my teeth.  I was able to change my body, but my new way of life didn't reflect on my face. My skin was developing brown patches and wrinkles and I noticed friends asking me if I was tired or sick on days I didn't wear makeup.  I researched different medical treatments to get my glow back and started to lose some of my confidence.

Around the same time, I wanted to fill my new free time with a part-time job to help contribute toward our boys' college fund.  I had taken the last 16+ years off to raise our 3 sons and worried about what an employer would think of me.  A middle-aged mother who had lots of experience organizing and accomplishing things an employer would never value.  Could I list President of Junior Wrestling or Proud Room Parent on my resume? Under accomplishments could I explain that I created and raised 3 smart, healthy, happy boys?  I searched job listings every night on my phone.

I began to compose my job requirements in my head: A creative part-time job helping others while also helping me regain my confidence.  Must have flexibility to accommodate school and sports schedules. No holidays, nights, or weekends.

I was becoming discouraged and realized I needed to work for someone who knew me. Someone who knew my drive, my passion for work I love…someone who would give me a chance to prove myself.  I started asking friends if they were hiring.

One day in the shower, I remembered a Facebook message from 6 months prior.  I started to piece together a plan that might solve both my problems.  Why had I never taken care of my skin the way I take care of my body?  Why hadn’t I looked for ways to be my own boss?

I immediately texted the friend who had reached out to me so many months before, “Hey girl, kids are back in school.  Let’s talk Rodan + Fields. Call me.”  Those three sentences helped me with my skin, my job search, and my confidence.  This is my “why”, this is how I started working for myself while taking care of the outside as well as the inside.  The future looks bright.  Call me, I can’t wait to help you the way R + F has helped me.

So, there you have it. I'm jumping in and feel like I have found "the thing" to take me through the next phase of my life.  If you have been experiencing something similar and want to talk or join me, I'd love to have you.  If you want to get a boost for your aging skin, I can help with that too.  Wish me luck!  

 

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of Rodan and Fields, so its been fun checking out your FB posts. I am so excited for you as you start this new journey! We've talked about this before, but it is so hard trying to figure out what to do next, what path to take and how to get there. I start a new job tomorrow actually, and like you, it had to work with school, holidays a husbands traveling schedule and kid schedules. I'm covering an employee medical leave in a preschool...she may be gone two months or forever....its 3 days a week and school hours and calendar. It's a start

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work