header

header

9.19.2013

Marinated Banana Peppers


Is your garden overflowing with banana peppers this month like mine?  A friend introduced us to marinated banana peppers a few years ago - but the super secret family recipe was not passed on.

I decided to sit down and try to recreate the recipe myself and learned how to hot pack the peppers by Googling (my favorite info source!), and came up with this recipe myself.  Nah nah!  I'm making super secret peppers and I'm going to tell everyone else how to do it!  Ha!

Marinated Banana Peppers

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds banana peppers
  • 6-12 cloves garlic
  • 6 tsp dried oregano
  • 5 cups vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt (I used kosher salt)
  • 3/4 cup vegetable olive oil
  • 6 canning jars

Combine vinegar, water, salt, and oil in a pan to boil.  Meanwhile,  clean and slice your peppers.  (I leave the seeds in to provide some heat.)

Pack your  pepper slices into clean canning jars.  Add 1 tsp. of dried oregano and 1-2 cloves of minced garlic on top of peppers.


 Pour the boiling oil and vinegar mixture to the rim of the jar.


Screw on lid tightly and immediately turn upside down.


You will hear the canning lids pop as they seal.

Now, because we are not truly "canning" these peppers, but marinating them, you will need to store the jars in the fridge.  They are not shelf safe like a jar that has been canned properly. 

BUT, because they are marinated and not canned, they have an amazing crisp texture that is fantastic as a pizza topper!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. They look great. I will have to try. I don't like garlic so I will probably leave that out.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM - these would go great on a meatball sammie and my youngest loves them. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work