header

header

10.04.2010

Gardening Part 3

Need to catch up? Check out last week's post Gardening Part 2

Okay, it's time to build a series of boxes to contain our garden. As I said, I kept it simple with the outside and made no cuts. I used the 2x6x8 and 2x6x10 inch pressure treated lumber:



I made a simple box that I screwed together with 2 1/2 inch screws that were coated for outside use.


For strength, I also bought 2x2 boards that I cut to insert into the corners. Again, screw these into place to reinforce your corners and reduce that back and forth swing.





Now, do the same with your remaining boards and make several small boxes for your actual plants. Mine measured 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches and I built four.



I did not reinforce the corners of these boxes since they will be filled with soil.

Your mission? Go buy some wood and some screws and get to work constructing your boxes! Use your husband's tools! If you are afraid, ask your local home improvement store to cut them for you! You can do it!

Next week we will finish up this project and your garden will be good to go for next spring.

**Edit** I have been made aware of some facts about wood choices since this published. Though I was following the advice of a Lowe's employee in choosing pressure treated wood, read what Rhonda from Southern Proletariat has to say:

Anything that has been chemically treated or that has chemicals is required to have what is called an MSDS (material data safety sheet)...I looked up Georgia Pacific pressure treated wood on its website here:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=1395

The actual MSDS (the sheet that tells all the details about the lumber) is a pdf down at the bottom. But here is the line that I pulled out for you:

"Pressure treated wood should not be used in circumstances where preservative may become a component of food, animal feed or beehives."

Basically, that's cause you don't want to run the risk of getting large amounts of copper in your system. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_effect_does_too_much_copper_have_on_your_body

Might I suggest that you look into the Yellawood environmentally friendly pressure treated product?


.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Love it! Maybe a stake hammered into the ground at the outside corners and one in the middle of the long sides would be good insurance, as the soil will expand with water and when it freezes and will pop out the corners of your boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woops! I just noticed the inside reinforcements. Never mind..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetie---I thought you weren't supposed to use pressure treated? Is this for food? If so, I would rethink. Pressure treated wood does contain chemicals that can leach into the food you grow.

    Now, if its for flowers- plant away! just worried about ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, I don’t know! I thought I’d heard that too, but when I went to Lowe’s the guy there told me this is what I should use so it wouldn’t rot. Now I wonder if I either called it the wrong thing or if he recommended the wrong thing. He helped me build the garden from top to bottom but I can’t read the tag I took a picture of to see if it says pressure treated or not! I’ll have to look into this further – thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work