header

header

7.15.2009

My Summer Bed DIY

I love my bed and the comforter we picked out last year. It such a warm color and great pattern, it matches everything else, and makes the room cozy. Maybe a little too cozy and warm in the summer. This thing is so warm to use in July!



***I'm getting a lot of buzz about the art above my bed. I bought it from a very talented artist who is just lovely, check out her website here Antoine Art***

When we wake up in the morning, our bed looks like this:



And we feel like this:



We vacationed in Florida this spring and the hotel had "fake quilts" at the foot of the beds there. It looked like the quilt had been folded at the foot of the bed, but upon closer inspection, it was a coordinating panel meant to look that way. This was the answer to my summer bedding dilemma!

I found single drapery panel ($19.99, whoop whoop!) at TJ Maxx that coordinated with our bedding (any kind of fabric would do, I just stumbled upon this) and folded it lengthwise, right sides together. Then I laid a piece of quilt batting on top and pinned the three layers like this:




I just sewed a straight line around three edges, leaving one short end open, then turned the whole thing right side out and pressed.

I found some coordinating buttons and sewed them on for some contrast and to hold the batting in place rather than quilting it, and voila!




While I was in the decorating groove, I picked up some spray paint (Rustoleum Hammered Dark Bronze)and a Target lampshade and made over our bedroom lamps:



The big guy sat on the edge of the bed and said "This metal lamp is so cool, I love the shape! Was it expensive? Does it turn on the same as my old lamp?" Silly silly man...

Do you have a DIY? Link up under this post then hop over to link up with Kimba using this button:

DIY Day @ ASPTL


37 comments:

  1. I really like the "fake quilt" but I LOVE the painting over your bed!!!! How inspirational! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too funny. . . Does it turn on the same as the old lamp. . . teee heeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! And I love the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the artwork piece above the headwork...great feng shui!

    ~Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the "fake quilt"! Great idea! And I am cracking up about your husband and the lamp! Why are guys like that??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so funny that he said that. great idea for the bed and i love the piece above it. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really DO look like different lamps! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is funny!!!!!!
    men.....they really know just what to say?!!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, you're the lucky one with an IKEA out that way. No IKEA bedrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jennifer.
    I thought I'd join in the fun, but you've already seen this one.
    I love the faux quilt idea.
    My husband and I are down to a sheet and one blanket for the summer. This definetly would pretty it up during the day.
    XOXO
    *Tricia

    P.S. I can't read the whole phrase on the top right frame in your background, but I see that it says "Chautauqua". Funny. That's where I'm originally from. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. Makes me wish I could sew...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute, cute faux quilt. ;) Visiting from Kimba's party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. how smart! looks great...LOVE the lamps...i look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great idea. Our spread ends up on the floor too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Love the artwork over your bed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever and inexpensive idea that looks like it costs way more than it did!! I chuckled out loud at the hubby comment!
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great way to change it up ! Love the new crisp !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! The lamp is amazing. I would have never known that it was spray paint. We spray painted the faucet from our old tub recently and it was so easy and turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the faux quilt and the story about fooling your husband with the lamp. Gotta love men! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the 'quilt.' It's a better alternative that our idea...we just kick it off the bed and don't make it all summer long...

    If I had that picture over my bed...I'd have twenty kids...if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our hotel we stayed in last week had the same "panel". I love how you recreated it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very neat way to solve your problem! I love the lamp, too!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the "quilt" and the lamp redo! Your hubby is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The lamp looks great and the fake quilt makes it look so summery. I know everyone has said it, but I LOVE that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! Your talent is phenomenal! ~Nards~

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL...love the comment your man made about the lamp...that's when you know you did a good job of repurposing! :)

    Great DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  27. yes, I have seen the fake quilts! I love them (except when I try to wrap up in one :D) You did a great job!

    Melissa :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. so clever and then even MORE clever!

    such a tender image - thanks for sharing the link to more goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great summer bed! I like them at hotels as well - nothing worse than having that funky spread up near my head, or my children's heads!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You did such a great job...looks beautiful! I love your "summer" look. That's too cute about your DH! :-) susan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stopping by from SITS to give a little blog ♥

    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. husbands are ever so observant! too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work