header

header

7.29.2009

DIY Thursday



Okay, I feel bad for leaving you high and dry on Tuesday with no tutorial for the week. I sucked you dry for ideas on my settee and the inspiration is flowing. Thank you all!

This week's DIY will be tutorial-ish to make up for it. (note: my spell check hates me.) See? Two for one!

Let me show you my Antiqued Living Room Wall...

Supplies:

Acrylic glaze
DecoArt Elegant Finish Metallic Gold Acrylic Paint
Paint brush
Rag
Stencil
Folk Art Metallic Pearl White Acrylic Paint


This was soooo easy, and I love the effect of aging on the walls. Oh, I hate the furniture in here, by the way.

Begin with a boring beige wall (you have one of those, right?)

Mix 1 part gold paint with 4 parts glaze.

Paint 2-3 foot sections of the wall with a cross-hatch stroke using the brush.

Dab the paint back OFF the wall in the same area using the rag.

Most directions for this type of finish tell you to work quickly with another person to keep a we edge, but I like the darker edges and color differentiation, so I took my time and did it alone.

Repeat over the entire wall surface. Let dry.

Measure your wall and work out a pattern for placing the stencil (I originally wanted a fleur de lis, but couldn't find it. This stencil cost me $1.00).

I used a laser level to keep each row straight.

Stencil the pattern over the antiqued wall using a rag dipped into the paint then dabbed off. (the rag should be almost dry)





Because of the metallic nature of the paint, the finish looks different in every light and at every angle (yet, not shiny) - it's soooo cool! The effect is kind of like old parchment.

Do you want to join in Kimba's DIY Linky party? Click the button below and head over to see some other great project ideas. You can also click on over to The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday!

DIY Day @ ASPTL


Don't forget, next Tuesday will be your chance to join my Tutorial Tuesday Linky Party. Get something fun posted and link up here for us all to come visit!

24 comments:

  1. Very pretty! That room looks very similar to one in my brother and sis-in-law's new home. Will have to have her take a look. :) Visiting from Kimba's party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting via ASPTL. So pretty. Now if only I had some time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, your wall looks great!! Also love that cute little ruffle shirt I saw down below.

    Like your book list on the side, I read Eat Pray Love (liked it), The Road (really liked it), and Kite Runner (one of the best stories I've ever read, cried and cried). Do you have any recommendations for other good reads?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wall looks incredible! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. I wish I could see those in person! I'm really curious how much you notice the metal. They look a little green in the pic, but you said you started with a boring beige wall, right?

    I'm really interested in doing something like this when I take my master bedroom from modern to romantic (think Zorro)style. But that is a few projects down the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRILLIANT! I LOVE IT, and I LOVE DIY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really nifty!

    Enjoy a Totally Tremendous Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never knew it could look that great! Thanks for the tip I love it!

    Check out my brand new blog.... http://oopsicraftmypants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!! This may be what I am looking for to do in my master bath. And I DO have a fleur de lis stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jennifer !
    Love that wall, the color is peaceful ! I know about brain fizzle....we get so busy, gotta cha !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks pretty darn cool... I love the extra detail and color it adds to the room. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks beautiful! I'm gonna give this a shot on some art work instead of an entire wall, though.

    Thanks for joining Transformation Thursday, I can't wait to stop by Tuesday for the tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    Your wall came out gorgeous. It's amazing what a little paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is just lovely. I have to visit back for more tips. Great blog. Stopping in from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there - visiting from Kimba's. Your walls are so pretty - what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great effect! ... did you have to go and make it sound easier that I am sure it really is?!? tempts me togive it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the textural look to your walls, come by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your comment! I really love that lovely wall treatment. It really does add a lot of character to the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't even know you had a living room!!!! :) I did this same thing years ago in the dining room of my first house.........I totally forgot all about it...hmmmmmm I may do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Subtle but very very effective! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's beautiful, very rich, I love it! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work