header

header

5.14.2009

Baseball Cupcakes


With baseball/soccer/football/lacrosse comes snack calendar for all the parents. How easy it is to buy the giant Costco box of rice crispy treats and call it a day. Listen, these are our special years with our kids, let's step it up. They are not going to wax nostalgic in 20 years about how cool it was to open that cellophane wrapper.

Now, I know you're busy, you have other things to do, it's a pain in the neck...I hear you. But these are memories, this is what they will remember when they talk to their friends about their mom, "I remember one time, my mom made me baseball cupcakes for a regular game snack. It wasn't even a special game...that was cool." And you will only have snack once, maybe twice a sport's season.

This stuff isn't hard, just jazz up a regular box mix using the "butter recipe" on the back of the box Duncan Heinz:

1 1/4 cup water (or other liquid if you are flavoring them)
1 stick melted butter (real butter,people!)
3 eggs

Fill up the cups only 1/2 way, you get flatter cupcakes, easier to decorate as baseballs.



Then jazz up your regular container of frosting with some real whipping cream. Pour about 1/4 cup into the frosting and whip it baby! I got this idea from my Saucy girl.

Frost them just as you normally would, but reserve about 1/4 cup of frosting to tint red.


Put the reserved frosting into a ziploc baggie and add lots of red coloring and squeeze to mix. Cut off the corner and pipe the stitches:


Let your munchkin get in on the act. It doesn't have to be perfect...remember, memories:


See? Mom of the year, or at least mom of the season:


Look at how cute they look eating their treat and showing off to the other kids with rice crispy moms.



Now, lest you think I'm some kind of mom mutant know this - my kitchen is a mess and the laundry is piled up on the floor of the family room, but I made my kid proud and happy and made a cool memory.

Oh, and look what happens when the cooler tips over on top of the leftovers on the drive home. See? I'm human.

11 comments:

  1. What a great mom you are! You are right - those are the memories that have forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have definitely inspired me as my 6 year old has a baseball game tonight and behold - he is the snack person! As I contemplate this idea, I gaze outside at the darkening skies and wonder if he will even have a game tonight after the rain we are supposed to get? I will ponder for awhile today! Tell you what though, if I don't make them for today, I will another time! Too cute! Thanks for the idea. It is ALWAYS a good thing to be thought of as a 'cool mom'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! i do always make real cupcakes for school birthdays instead of picking up a box of munchkins...well as real as the ones from a box. at least i turn on my oven for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alrighty then.....I'm snack mom for Cubbys last soccer game ON MY BIRTHDAY!!! I will certainly make BIG memories!!!!! Thanks as always....and there may be a tinge of sarcasm in that one!...cause you know I'm going to busy the night before the game on 29th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing fo me as well! I'm up for softball snack next week! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so dang cute! I bet is really fun being the COOLEST MOM EVER! And you're right....it is making memories....but then I can say that now that my kids are all grown up and I don't have to make snacks anymore lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve the Mom of The Year Award!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely yummy looking, even the ones that spilled to the ground.

    I made a batch of special cupcakes for my nephew today, posting them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy these posts. Not only do I start to get hungry, but it makes me inspire to be a better cook. Seriously. I do my best, but am always open to a new recipe. Next time have some cupcakes in the car to give Ponch when you get pulled over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet of you. I know they were well rec'd. Oooops cupcakes taste just as good as nice looking ones. Love the thought of not being a Rice Krispie mom.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work